First of all, you got the interview! CONGRATULATIONS!
Now you’re getting ready for it and pre-interview anxiety is healthy and if used right can help sharpen your focus. Here’s a list of things to help guide you and keep the jitters under control.
1. Give yourself credit. You got the interview, that’s more than the majority of applicants can say. Pat yourself on the back – they are already interested in you !
2. Be Prepared. Research the company and the role. Go through the job description and ensure you are able to justify your experience with each of the responsibilities and qualifications. Be prepared with specific exampless. Remember you can never be over-prepared.
3. Practice makes perfect. Organise your thoughts, write them down, and practice with a friend or mentor. The best sports people in the world review their performance, you can do the same.
4. Sleep well. Get some good nights sleep leading up to the interview as the night before might be a restless one.
5. Avoid negative thinking. Prior to the interview picture yourself being hired.
6. Don’t fear rejection. Think about the sheer number of interviews versus offers. There are many aspects that you can’t control: chemistry with the interviewer, internal candidates who are normally viewed more favourably, and candidates from direct competitors. Don’t fear rejection, use this as a learning experience and perfect your interview skills.